I'm learning that living in a Muslim country during Ramadan can be quite challenging. Here in Abu Dhabi the cafés and restaurants are closed until Iftar, when the sun sets, so if we go out during the day it's hard to find somewhere to eat and drink. Gone are the days of chilling out in the air conditioned mall with a flat white! You are allowed to buy takeaway food but you must not eat it in public. If you eat or drink in public during Ramadan you can be fined. Tanya and I enjoyed a haram (forbidden) ice cream cone on the way back from the supermarket the other day, we ate it in the car as we were driving home. You even have to be discreet when you drink water, and with the temperature constantly in the low to mid forties drinking is very important. Tanya is excused from observing Ramadan because she is breast-feeding.
Today we went up to Dubai for the day, about an hours drive from where Tanya and Joel live. There are more westerners and tourists there and we found a cafe which had all the windows covered so you couldn't see in, but it was open and extremely busy. We had a yummy lunch there. I'm not sure whether food places have to get special permission or pay anything to open during Ramadan, but this particular cafe was doing a roaring trade!
Tanya and Joel bought a front pack to carry Nikau in, particularly for Tanya to use in the states. I finally bought the shoes I want for the wedding, apparently they were the last pair in the size and colour I wanted in the UAE. Just got to get a jacket made, fascinator and bag and mother of the groom will be all organised! Joel has the unenviable task of outfitting his father in law, suit, shirt, tie, shoes, the works! Good luck with that Joel!!
The speed limit on the motorway between Abu Dhabi and Dubai is 140 km, and we cruised along quite comfortably at this speed. It doesn't feel fast because everybody is travelling at the same speed, and it is not unusual for cars to go zooming past you in the fast lane! If you get a speeding fine here you get 50% off if you pay on line!
Geoff is on his way as I write, and Joel and I will be heading up to Dubai very early tomorrow morning to pick him up. Nikau can't wait to meet his grandad!
No comments:
Post a Comment